Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65+ Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1965 - 1969

Collected in 1965
Dollhouse

Doll house view from front and opened to reveal interior
Click the photo for a larger image.

Built in England in 1875. Robert Howard, the builder, searched throughout London for suitable furnishings. The dollhouse is on exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1965
St. Mary’s Anglican Church

front view of St. Mary's Anglican Church

Constructed in 1908 at Lilac, Saskatchewan by volunteers under the supervision of Ruddell contractor George Anderson. The church was moved to the North Battleford WDM to become part of the village exhibit.

Collected in 1965
Wedding Dress

Nellie Mcclung's wedding dress on manequin

Worn by Nellie Mooney for her 1896 wedding to Wesley McClung in Wawanesa, Manitoba.

McClung was an advocate for women’s rights throughout her career and one of the Famous Five who successfully petitioned the highest court of the land, then the Privy Council in England, for women’s right to be appointed to the Canadian Senate. The dress is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1965
Slide Projector

Slide projector

Early slide projector, often called a magic lantern, for viewing glass slides. A candle provided the light source. The projector is on exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1966
Curling Rock

curling rock

Purchased by the Granite Curling Club, North Battleford, in the 1950s. Curling, Saskatchewan’s official sport, has been played in the province since the late 19th century. The rock is on exhibit in Let’s Have Fun at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1966
Telephone

hand cranked telephone

Hand cranked telephone on exhibit in the Dentist’s Office in the village exhibit, North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1966
Television

Philco television in wooden case

Philco television bought in the United States in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Television first went on air in Saskatchewan in 1954. The television is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1967
Trophy

Trophy won by Rosthern area farmer Seager Wheeler in 1911 for best hard spring wheat grown in North America. Wheeler, known as the Wheat Wizard of Rosthern, was five-time winner of the top honour. The trophy is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1967
Pump Organ

Organ made in the United States and brought to Saskatchewan. It is believed to have once stood in a sod shack in the Delisle district. The organ is on exhibit in the telephone operator’s house on Boomtown Street in the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1967
Locomotive

black and white photo of the CPR locomotive on tracks

CPR lomotive on exhibit at Saskatoon WDM

Canadian Pacific Railway locomotive built in Montreal in 1905. The CPR sold it to the Manitoba & Saskatchewan Coal Company in 1949 for use at its mine in southeastern Saskatchewan near Bienfait. The locomotive anchors the Winning the Prairie Gamble exhibit at the end of Boomtown Street, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1967
North West Mounted Police Outpost

small log and plaster structure that served as the NWMP outpost near Jackfish Lake

Log and plaster structure built in 1895 near Jackfish Lake, Saskatchewan and used by the NWMP for fewer than 20 years. The abandoned building survived and was moved to the North Battleford WDM village exhibit in 1967, Canada’s centennial year.

Find out more about the NWMP Outpost -->

Collected in 1968
Holy Trinity Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church

exterior of Holy Trinity Ukranian Greek Orthodox Church

interior of Holy Trinity Ukranian Greek Orthodox Church

Built by Ukrainian immigrants southwest of Hafford, Saskatchewan in 1910. Logs were cut by the parishioners and hauled from the Little Shell Lake district to the building site. The interior of the church was finally completed in 1917. The church is located in the village exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1968
1948 Chrysler Coupe

red 1948 Chrysler Coupe

Purchased originally for $3200 from a Saskatoon dealership. The car was last driven about 1960. It is on exhibit in the Transportation Gallery at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1968
Doll

doll

Doll with wax head and kid leather arms. It was reportedly given to a young girl in England about 1840. When she left it too close to a fireplace, the doll’s wax face was damaged. It is in storage at the Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1969
Telephone

rotary dial telephone

Rotary dial telephone manufactured by Automatic Electric Company, Chicago, in 1907. The telephone is part of a showcase exhibit, Area Code 306, at the WDM Yorkton.

Collected in 1969
Gift Box

gold coloured gift box

A Christmas gift in 1914, one of some gift 426,000 boxes given to British, Colonial and Indian troops serving in the First World War. The gifts, usually tobacco, candy, pencils and a Christmas card, were the idea of Princess Mary, daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. The box is on exhibit in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1969
Circus Set

set of colourful circus toys including an elephant, two clowens, and a horse

Made of wood and reportedly brought to Canada in the early 20th century. The toy belonged to James Edward Foster who immigrated to Saskatchewan from Pennsylvania with his mother and died at age 16. Parts of the set are on exhibit in the theatres at the Moose Jaw WDM and North Battleford WDMs.


More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014

 


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact