Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65+ Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1975 - 1979

Collected in 1975
Accordion

Accordian

Brought from Aberdeen, Scotland to a Saskatchewan homestead near Atton’s Lake in the Cut Knife area, prior to the First World War. The accordion is on exhibit in the Winning the Prairie Gamble exhibit, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1975
Quilt

Quilt

A variation of the log cabin pattern believed to have been made about 1880. The quilt is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1975
1960 Plymouth Fury

1960 Plymouth Fury

Purchased new in Saskatoon in 1960 and used until 1975. It is an example of Chrysler’s unibody construction in which a single welded unit is both body and frame. The car is on exhibit in the Transportation Gallery at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1975
Bandura

Bandura

Popular instrument in Ukrainian culture. This bandura was made in the USSR. It is on exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1976
Carved Figures

2 wooden figures

Created from poplar logs by Victor Humeniuk of Fenwood, Saskatchewan in the late 1930s. The female figure represents the woman he left behind when he left Ukraine for Canada. The figures are a favourite at the Yorkton WDM.

Find out more about the carved figures -->

Collected in 1976
Handcar

Handcar

Canadian Pacific Railway handcar on exhibit in the Rail Gallery, Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1976
Souvenir Handkerchief

Souvinir Handkerchief featuring King George VI and Queen Elizabeth

Commemorates the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to Saskatoon in 1939. Thousands of well-wishers turned out to see the royal visitors at their many stops across Canada. The handkerchief is in storage at the Curatorial Centre in Saskatoon.

Collected in 1976
Homestead Receipt

Homestead Reciept

Issued in 1905 at Yorkton, Saskatchewan. A homesteader paid $10 to register his claim to a quarter section of land. He then had three years to “prove up.” The original document is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre. Copies are in the Saskatchewan 1905-2005 timeline exhibits at Moose Jaw, North Battleford and Yorkton WDMs.

Collected in 1976
Bible

Ornate Bible

Printed in a Slavic language for the Ukrainian Byzantine rite. The Bible came from a church near Insinger, Saskatchewan. It is on exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1977
1941 Snowplow

Orange snowplow

Used for about 35 years to clear snow at airports including the air base at Moose Jaw. The snowplow is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1977
1955 Ford Crown Victoria

Pink 1955 Ford Crown Victoria

Two-door model purchased originally in Dodsland, Saskatchewan. It is on exhibit in Classy Cars at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1977
Television

Television in wooden box

Bought in Humboldt, Saskatchewan for $450 in 1954, the year in which television was first broadcast in the province. The TV is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1977
Beaded Vest

Beaded vest

Purchased in Assiniboia, North West Territories before Saskatchewan became a province in 1905. It was worn by Stephen Burrell who was later killed during the First World War. The vest is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1978
Doll carriage

doll carriage

A Christmas gift to Gertrude Sommerfeld in 1923. It was bought from Eaton’s. The carriage is in the Winning the Prairie Gamble exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1978
Plaque

Confederation plaque

Commemorates the 60th anniversary of Confederation in 1927. The federal government distributed these copper plaques to all schools in 1927. Major celebrations had not been held to mark Canada’s 50th anniversary in 1917 because the country was at war. This plaque is in the Saskatchewan 1905-2005 timeline exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1978
Radio

Dominion Electohome radio

Late 1940s battery-operated radio manufactured by Dominion Electrohome in Kitchener, Ontario. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1978
John Deere Tractor

John Deere Model D tractor

Model D manufactured during the 1947-48 production year. The tractor was used in the Unity, Saskatchewan district. It is at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1979
Mechanical Horse

Blowtoch on parade

BlowtorchLife-sized, motor-driven horse built by W.J. McIntyre of Swift Current, Saskatchewan in the early 1950s. Nicknamed Blowtorch, the horse was featured in numerous parades and fairs, most recently at Expo 86 in Vancouver. Blowtorch is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Find out more about Blowtorch -->

Collected in 1979
1929 Gipsy Moth Airplane

Red 1929 Gipsy Moth airplane

Built by deHavilland Aircraft of Canada in Toronto, the biplane changed hands many times over its life span. In the mid-1930s it was used briefly by Prairie Airways, Moose Jaw then by the Moose Jaw Flying Club. It is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

See more airplanes on display at the Moose Jaw WDM -->

Collected in 1979
Calculator

Meilicke Calculator

Built by Meilicke Calculator Company of Chicago. The company originated in the Hanley/Dundurn, Saskatchewan area with the invention of a kind of calculating machine by Carl Meilicke. His first patent was granted in 1906. The calculator is in the bank on Boomtown Street, Saskatoon WDM.


More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact