Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65+ Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1985 - 1989

Collected in 1985
1982 ElecTrek Car

Built by Unique Mobility of Denver, Colorado and purchased by Saskatchewan Power Corporation to test its performance. The electric car did not measure up so further testing was halted. The ElecTrek is featured in the new Fuelled by Innovation exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1985
Autoboggan

Snowmobile built in Minnesota and sold by H.C. Paul of Winnipeg in the late 1950s. It was used by Alex Vereshagin of the Blaine Lake, Saskatchewan area to haul feed to his buffalo herd. The Autoboggan is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1985
Gas Mask

First World War respirator issued to Captain W.H. Bothwell and used during the gas attack at Ypres, Belgium.

Find out more about Captain Bothwell and his respirator -->

Collected in 1986
Barn

Built for livestock on the Brinkhurst family farm near Gallivan, Saskatchewan in 1915. The barn was moved to the North Battleford WDM farmyard in 1986.

Collected in 1986
Moose Hide Jacket

Purchased by 16-year old William Cowie of Dundurn, Saskatchewan in 1935. Cowie rode his horse from Dundurn to Prince Albert where he bought the jacket. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Find out more about William Cowie and his jacket -->

Collected in 1986
The Gull Supply Boat

Purchased in 1937 by the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Company. The boat was used to ferry passengers between Sandy Bay and the Island Falls hydroelectric station in northeast Saskatchewan. It is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Find out more about the Gull -->

Collected in 1986
Snowmobile


Ski-Bee Commander built by Ingham Industries of Lanigan, Saskatchewan in 1968. The snowmobile is featured in Winning the Prairie Gamble at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1987
Memorial Cross

Given to Edna Halliday, mother of W.J. Halliday who was killed in 1944 during the Second World War. The Memorial Cross, commonly known as the Silver Cross, is in the Saskatchewan 1905-2005 timeline exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1987
Farm House

Built on the McLaren farm near Rockhaven, Saskatchewan in 1914 and home to a family of 12. It was moved to the farmyard at the North Battleford WDM in 1987.

Collected in 1987
1940 Oldsmobile

A product of the General Motors assembly plant in Regina, Saskatchewan. It was purchased new in 1940 and used for a time at Island Falls in northeast Saskatchewan. The car is at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1988
Bingo Set

Popular game often used as a fundraiser. Small wooden balls contain the numbers and letters. It is in the Fun and Games exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1988
Portable Television

Admiral Portable Television c. 1960

Manufactured by Admiral about 1960. It is in the Fun and Games exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1988
House


Large two-and-a-half storey home built on the Harris family farm near Fielding, Saskatchewan in 1915. It was moved to the North Battleford WDM village in 1988.

Collected in 1988
1959 Cadillac Coupe de Ville


Built at a time when tail fins were very popular. This luxury car is believed to have been won by its original owner. It is on exhibit in the Transportation Gallery at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1988
Tea Set

Child’s miniature tea set. It belonged to Violet Palmer who was born in the Quill Lake, Saskatchewan area in 1913. The set is at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1988
1929 Chrysler

Series 65 sedan. The car was originally used in the Dinsmore, Saskatchewan district.

Collected in 1989
Observatory


First public observatory in Saskatchewan. It was built on the roof of Regina’s Central Collegiate in 1913. The observatory is at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Find out more about the Observatory -->

Collected in 1989
Hudson’s Bay Company Trade Kettle

Used by Andrew McCartney for making tea while working on a railway survey crew. It is on exhibit in the introduction to Winning the Prairie Gamble, Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1989
Linen Suit (below, left)

 

Collected in 1989
Ashtray (below, right)

Traditional Doukhobor suit made from Saskatchewan flax, spun and woven about 1915. According to custom, the ensemble was made for Alex Nemanishen’s eventual burial, but when he died in 1971, traditions had changed and the suit was not used. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

 

Made from a Sensenich Brothers airplane propeller. The ashtray was part of the furnishings in the officers’ mess at a British Commonwealth Air Training Plan base in Saskatchewan. It is in storage in the WDM Curatorial Centre.

 



More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact