Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65+ Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1990 - 1994

Collected in 1990
Basket

Straw woven basket

Reportedly created by a First Nations person in the Quill Lake, Saskatchewan area about 1920. It is made of plaited straw. The basket is on exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Learn more about straw weaving -->

Collected in 1990
Cheshire View Travel Trailer

Cheshire View Travel Trailer

Built from materials salvaged from bombed buildings in England after the Second World War. The Thane family brought it to Canada in 1952 and used it in their travels around the country. The trailer is at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1990
Blotter

Victory Loan campaign blotter

Victory Loan campaign advertising. Help Finish the Job was the slogan of the 1941 campaign to raise funds for Canada’s war effort. The original is at the WDM Curatorial Centre; copies are in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline exhibits at Moose Jaw, North Battleford and Yorkton WDMs.

Collected in 1990
Medal

Medal stamped "The Royal Bank of Canada" and "Ogema Agricultural Society 1928 Awarded to H. Reid for 3 Dairy Cattle"Click the photo for a larger image.

Awarded by the Ogema Agricultural Society in 1928 to H. Reid for three dairy cattle. The Royal Bank of Canada provided the medal. It is on the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1990
Quilt

Quilt

Made by Clara Bowman of Hawarden, Saskatchewan about 1920. The batting was gathered from bits of sheep’s wool caught on the fence that separated the Bowman farm from the neighbours. The quilt is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre. It will be featured in Narrative Threads, a virtual exhibit by the Textile Museum of Canada in fall, 2014.

Collected in 1991
Sculpture

Sculpture

Cast in bronze by Dr. John S. Neufeld as a tribute to his maternal and paternal grandparents who immigrated to the Waldheim, Saskatchewan area in 1893 and 1894. The sculpture is located at the Saskatoon WDM.

Find out more about the sculpture -->

Collected in 1991
Electronic Game

TV Scoreboard by Radio Shack

TV Scoreboard sold by Radio Shack beginning in 1976. The game is in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1991
Crocheted Bag

Crocheted bag

Crocheted by Ruth Burke and shown in agricultural fairs in the Fiske, D’Arcy and Brock, Saskatchewan areas in the teens and 1920s. Burke won many prizes for her work. The bag is on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1992
Overcoat

Overcoat

Purchased at the Hudson’s Bay Company store in Winnipeg about 1930 and worn while prospecting in northern Saskatchewan. The coat is on exhibit at the WDM in North Battleford.

Collected in 1992
1975 Bricklin

1975 Bricklin SV

New Brunswick’s attempt to enter the automobile manufacturing industry. The car was used to promote Regina radio station CKRM’s 50th anniversary. It is in Classy Cars at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1992
Toy Stove

Marx Toys toy stove

Given to four-year old Beverly Penner of Dalmeny, Saskatchewan in the late 1950s. The stove was made by well known New York toy maker, Marx Toys. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1992
Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Calendar

Saskatchewan Wheat Pool calendar 1933

Given to Wheat Pool customers in 1933. The map shows the locations of the company’s elevators. In 1933 Saskatchewan had 3240 elevators operated by several companies, more than any other year before or since. Copies of the calendar are in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline exhibits at WDMs in Moose Jaw, North Battleford and Yorkton.

Collected in 1992
Geiger Counter

Geiger Counter

Uranium Scout model used during exploration in the Athabasca Basin area of northern Saskatchewan during the late 1960s and early 1970s. It is in the Saskatchewan natural resources exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1993
Stinson 108-1 Airplane

Stinson 108-1 Airplane

Manufactured by Consolidated Vultee of Pontiac, Michigan in 1947. It was acquired in the 1990s by the Saskatchewan Flying Farmers and restored for exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM. The Saskatchewan Chapter of the National Flying Farmers Association was organized in Estevan, Saskatchewan in 1955.

Collected in 1993
Little Girl’s Outfit

Girl's outfit

Reportedly worn by donor’s sister at a royal visit in the 1950s. The ensemble is homemade with newspaper interlining on the jacket and crepe paper under the skirt. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1993
Computer

IBM 5150 PC

IBM 5150 PC, the company’s entry into the personal computer market. This was the WDM’s first computer, bought for administrative use about 1983. It is in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1993
Violin

violin

Decorated with pen and ink drawings and mother-of-pearl. The violin was left behind in Norway when its owner immigrated to Canada in the early 1900s. Some years later Melvin Nelson convinced his father to send for the violin. It is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1994
Sony Transistor Radio

Sony Transistor Radio

Purchased in 1956 at Boechler’s Store in Allan, Saskatchewan and used for 37 years. It is on exhibit in Fun and Games at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1994
Lorch Snowplane

Lorch snowplanes lined up in front of Garage in Spy Hill

Lorch snowplane

Built by Karl Lorch of Spy Hill, Saskatchewan about 1951. Lorch designed his first snowplane in the late 1920s and went on to manufacture them for about 35 years. The snowplane is on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble, Moose Jaw WDM.

Find out more about Lorch Snowplanes -->

Collected in 1994
Cockshutt 30 Tractor

Cockshutt 30 Tractor

First tractor with an independent power take-off, a feature that soon became an industry standard. This one was built in 1948. During the 1960s, it was used in the Drake, Saskatchewan district by the Braun brothers. The tractor is on exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Read more about the Cockshutt 30 tractor in "Cockshutt Tractor History on the Prairie" by Prairies North magazine -->

Collected in 1994
Lantern Slides

Lantern slide showing"Vote Against the Bar Room"

One of a series of glass slides published by the Presbyterian church in Toronto and used to promote temperance during the teens and early 1920s. The image is on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1994
Hockey Game

Table top hockey game

An early version of table top hockey. A similar game is shown in Eaton’s 1954-55 Fall and Winter catalogue. The game is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1994
1939 IHC Truck

1939 IHC Truck

Three-quarter ton model believed to have been used in the Landis, Saskatchewan area.


More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact