Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65+ Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1995 - 1999

Collected in 1995
Roy Rogers Lunch Kit

Roy Rogers Lunch Kit

Carried to school by Lynn Furtney of MacNutt, Saskatchewan during the 1960s. Roy Rogers, a popular movie star beginning in the late 1930s, was known as the King of the Cowboys. The lunch kit is on exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1995
Hen and Chick Toy

Hen and chick toy

Clockwork wind-up toy made in Germany during the teens. It is one of hundreds of toys, games and other artifacts from the Bladon family home near Lang, Saskatchewan. The hen and chick is featured in the exhibit In a Prairie Attic: Bladon Family Toys at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1995
Quilt

Quilt

Made by Red Cross volunteers at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and sent with relief supplies to Holland in 1944 during the Second World War. Fifty years later, it was returned to Saskatchewan as a gesture of appreciation. The quilt is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Find out more about how this quilt made its way back to SK -->

Collected in 1995
Ginger Beer Bottle

Silverwood Springs Ginger Beer

From Silverwood Springs, a bottling plant owned by William Silverwood, located just north of Saskatoon in the first decade of the 20th century. Silverwood also sold bottled water, cider, lemonade, vanilla soda and other drinks. The bottle is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1996
Moccasins

Moccasins

Excellent example of silk embroidery in the Métis tradition. The moccasins are believed to have been hand made for sale before 1920. They are on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1996
Wall Hanging

IODE Wall Hanging

IODE Wall hanging detail "City of Moose Jaw"

IODE Wall hanging detail "Executed by Joanna R. St. Clair" IODE

Embroidered on silk by Moose Jaw IODE member Joanna St. Clair as a fund raiser and presented to the Canadian Legion at Moose Jaw in 1927. St. Clair’s skill with the needle is particularly evident in the expertly embroidered City of Moose Jaw and IODE crests.

Find out more about the IODE and this wall hanging -->

Leearn more about the Remembering WWI exhibit -->

Collected in 1996
Advertising Card

The Happy Gang CBC

Memento of the very popular Happy Gang radio show. It was broadcast on CBC from 1937 to 1959. The original is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre. Copies can be seen on the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timelines at Moose Jaw, North Battleford and Yorkton WDMs.

Collected in 1996
Doll

Fladora doll by Armand Marseilles

Floradora doll with bisque head made in Germany by Armand Marseilles. It was given to Eva Bladon of Lang, Saskatchewan in 1913. The doll is part of In a Prairie Attic: Bladon Family Toys at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1997
Cookbook

From Saskatchewan Homemakers' Kitchens Cookbook

Published by the Saskatchewan Homemakers’ Club in 1955, Saskatchewan’s Golden Jubilee year. Recipes were collected from Clubs around the province. In 2005, the WDM in cooperation with the Saskatchewan Women’s Institute, reprinted the book. The original cookbooks are on exhibit at all four WDMs and reprints are for sale in Museum gift shops.

Find out more about the cookbook -->

Collected in 1997
Cup and Saucer

Saskatchewan's Golden Jubilee cup and saucer

Souvenir of Saskatchewan’s Golden Jubilee in 1955. The celebration honoured the pioneers who settled the province in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The cup and saucer are on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1997
Model Steam Engine

Model steam engine

Hand crafted by Fred Dalby of Saskatoon between 1915 and 1917. Dalby salvaged parts from an adding machine and cut the gears by hand. A few pieces were ordered from England. The finished model was fully operational. It is on exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Find out more about Dalby's model steam engine -->

Collected in 1997
1926 Model T Roadster

1926 Model T Roadster

Car was purchased second or third hand by Jacob Kampen in 1933 for $15. It was reportedly made into a small truck and used for hauling grain and coal. Decades later, the car was restored by Kampen’s son. It is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1998
Radio

MG-306 "Pioneer" Crystal Radio

Crystal radio made in Japan about 1960. The space age design reflected public interest in space exploration following the launch in 1957 of Sputnik 1 by the Soviet Union. The radio is in the Saskatchewan 1905 - 2005 timeline at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1998
1950 Studebaker Truck

1950 Studebaker Truck

Half ton model used on the Hewitt farm near Perdue, Saskatchewan. It is on exhibit in Winning the Prairie Gamble, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1998
Roto Thresh Combine

Roto thresh combine

Roto Thresh combine advertisementBuilt in Saskatoon in 1975 and used on the Lloyd farm near D’Arcy, Saskatchewan until 1996. Although it was not a commercial success, Western Roto Thresh was at the forefront of innovation in combine technology. In 1977 International Harvester introduced its axial flow design, a concept that evolved from Roto Thresh’s rotating drum idea. The combine is at the North Battleford WDM.

Find out more about the Roto Thresh combine -->

Collected in 1999
Doukhobor Wedding Ensemble

Doukhobor Wedding Ensemble

Worn by Onya Perehudoff for her 1867 wedding in Russia. Onya and her husband Fedyor immigrated to Saskatchewan in 1899, settling near Blaine Lake. The ensemble will be featured in fall, 2014 as part of Narrative Threads, a virtual exhibit organized by the Textile Museum of Canada.

Collected in 1999
Flying Jacket

Flying jacket

Given to a Scottish couple by a Canadian airman during the Second World War in appreciation of their hospitality. In 1959 the couple gave it to their nephew who was visiting, telling him it came from Canada. Unfortunately, they could not remember the airman’s name. The jacket is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1999
Cream Separator

Cupboard with cream separator

 

Advertisement from Eaton's Catalogue for cream separatorOrdered from Eaton’s catalogue in 1934. The young Carlson brothers earned the money during the winter by trapping and skinning rabbits. During the Great Depression their earnings were a godsend to the Carlson family whose cream separator had just broken down. The separator is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1999
Stove

Enterprise wood stove

Enterprise wood stove made in Sackville, New Brunswick around 1940. It was converted to gas in the 1950s and used by the Romanow family of Saskatoon. The stove is at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1999
Windmill

Fairbanks Morse windmill

Fairbanks Morse windmill erected on the farm near Lucky Lake in 1912. The windmill was moved to a site near the barn at the Saskatoon WDM in 1999.


More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact