Find out more about a few of the many artifacts on display.
Harnessing the energy and enthusiasm of woodworking students at Peacock
Technical High School in Moose Jaw, shop teacher David Boorah set his
woodworking class to work in 1986. The 1920s style was selected to honour
the early days of boating along the Moose Jaw River and Thunder Creek.
Read more -->
The Gull - Workhorse on Water
The Gull was manufactured by Russel Brothers Ltd. of Fort Frances,
Ontario, a boat builder for the logging industry. Literature of the day
described the boat as all steel from cabin to keel and powered with the
Russel heavy duty marine engine. Measuring 8.5 metres (28 ft.) long, it
was a workhorse. When the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting company decided
to expand the Island Falls station in 1935, it purchased The Gull for
$2,965 to haul sand and gravel barges during the construction of
turbines and generators.
Find out more -->
The City of Medicine Hat:
A Shipwreck on the South Saskatchewan River
See a steamboat fashioned after the ill fated S.S. City of
On June 1, 1908, the S.S. City of Medicine Hat set out from Medicine Hat, Alberta with flour from the Medicine Hat Milling Company destined for the Winnipeg market. By June 7, 1908 it had reached Saskatoon on the South Saskatchewan River. Although the young settlement had only one traffic bridge and two railway bridges, flooding complicated navigation under the bridges that spring. After safely passing under the two railway bridges, the sternwheel and rudder of the City of Medicine Hat got tangled in submerged telegraph wires. The captain lost control of the boat. It slammed sideways into the traffic bridge, rolled and capsized, with tonnes of flour going overboard. Fortunately, no lives were lost.