Contact Us
WDM Saskatoon

Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2015
green stem
Facebook Twitter Instragram YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Regular Hours:
9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Daily

Holiday Hours >>

Phone:
☎ 1-306-931-1910

Location:
2610 Lorne Ave
Saskatoon, SK

Family History Album


Cancer Bomb

Museum Store
Gift Shop

 

Tractor and Farm Machinery Gallery


Our Tractor and Farm Machinery gallery features a variety of agricultural equipment from early Saskatchewan history.

Agricultural artifacts have been a strength of the Western Development Museum collection since its founding in 1949.

Feature Artifacts:

The Big Four

The Big Four was a big tractor. Named for its massive four-cylinder engine, the Big Four traces its family history to the first years of the twentieth century when D.M. Hartsough, one of the fledging tractor industry's pioneer innovators, experimented with a multi-cylinder engine.


Dreadnaughts of the Prairies: The Marshall Tractor

British tractor maker Marshall, Sons & Company had its eye on the lucrative Canadian market early in the 20th century. Marshall introduced its first tractor in 1907. Titled "Dreadnaughts of the Prairies" the company promoted its "British Colonial Tractors" with the slogan, "Built like a Battleship-Runs Like a Watch." Marshall tractors were "guaranteed of finest material and best workmanship."


Bates tractor in Pion-Era paradeThe Bates Steel Mule, A ‘Mechanical Horse’

The Bates Steel Mule is one of the most unusual tractors in the Western Development Museum collection. Just about everyone who sees it wonders how it worked. Unlike other tractors of its day, the Steel Mule had no seat.


Pioneer tractorThe Mighty Pioneer - Pioneer 30-60 HP Tractor

The 30 was a big tractor, weighing 23,000 pounds. The drive wheels were 96 inches in diameter. It could pull an eight to ten bottom plow through tough, prairie sod or power a 36 inch cylinder threshing machine making it ideal for custom work.


Gray Tractor advertisementThe Gray Tractor:
An Unconventional Design


The Gray Tractor Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota was one of dozens of companies trying to make it big in the tractor business in the teens and 1920s. What set the Gray apart from its competitors was the large drum which took the place of rear wheels.


You might also like:

- Artifact Articles

- About the WDM Collection

- Saskatoon WDM Winning the Prairie Gamble - 'Machinery Row'